Unit 2: Abortion Rights

This paper’s objective was to write about a social movement, and the examples of Rhetoric used to persuade people to support that movement. I chose to focus on the abortion rights movement and how both sides of the debate – whether abortion is moral or not – used rhetoric in protest to support their arguments (Shamiah A.- Rhetorical). My decision to continue with this movement, out of a wide range of choices, was because it was trending, has a long history of debate, and surrounds a topic with which I cannot pick a sure side. This paper was considered a “mini-paper” and didn’t require much research or formal citations. Still, since I wanted to learn more about other than my general understanding of the Roe v Wade history, I decided to do my research which I implemented in my paper.
I started my paper by discussing the history of abortion and sharing all my new findings from my research. I gave a lot of background relevant to the movement but not to the purpose of my paper. I could’ve gone without mentioning so much history and emphasized analyzing the rhetorical situation more. Regarding the analysis, I believe I was repetitive and would’ve accomplished more if I didn’t focus on Aristotle’s “Rhetorical Triangle” for both rhetorical situations. Honestly, when writing this, I didn’t put in my total effort and rushed to complete it since I had procrastinated for so long; I could’ve done way better.
Something I could have done to improve this paper is to cut out some of the information about the history of the abortion movement, as it was unneeded. Maybe add another example of rhetoric to analyze and explain different strategies related to the rhetorical situation. After these additions, I would achieve more with this paper.